Today we went to the Silver Dollar Fair here in Chico. I was manning the Mary Kay booth from 1-3pm with my friend Adria, and then Dave met up with me so we could take Jaron and Lara to see the baby farm animals and other kid friendly fun. We ran into our friend Robin, who is on the fair board so she has "perks", so she had her daughter take Jaron on some of the kid rides. We also met up with our friends Katie and Adam, and then headed over to the hypnotist show.
We got there a little before 6pm and the show did not start until 6:30pm. Robin had been holding Lara (Lara had been sleeping), so I got her back so I could feed her, but Lara would not eat. She was listless, her breathing seemed rapid and kind of shallow, and she felt hot on her back and stomach. Her lips were dry as well, which seemed unusual since she is always drooling. Robin asked me if I wanted to take her to the First Aid booth, I said I did since something just was not right. Dave had taken Jaron to get us something to eat, so Robin said she'd let Dave know. I was so freaked out I left the nursing cover on and did not "put myself together" underneath, and was walking as fast as I could carrying her in my arms. I ran into Dave on the way, so he came with me.
We got her to the First Aid booth and set I her down on the table as I tried to keep from crying to tell them what was wrong. They checked her vitals and determined that she was dehydrated and slightly overheated. They said that she needed to keep cool and get fluids and that they could get an ambulance and take her to the hospital. I said I wanted to try to feed her again before we did that. I tried, but she wouldn't eat. I really received some inspiration today, and I'm glad I listened. I asked for some water and she started to drink it. Then the EMT put a little bit of Gatorade in it to replace her electrolytes. She drank some of that and was starting to perk up. She finally breastfed and started acting like herself.
During all this, Robin came by to check on us and took Jaron to see the race cars, then took him to her house so he was not stuck in the room with us. I am so thankful for her doing that for us.
After she seemed cooled down and had been herself for a while (we were there for at least an hour), we left and went to pick up Jaron. But the car was too warm for her and the less then half mile to Robin's house, so we gave her more Gatorade water and I nursed her some more and we just let Jaron play with the kids for a couple hours.
We are still trying to get fluids down her. We are watching her as she sleeps to make sure she's not showing any further symptoms. The EMT told us to take her to be checked out tonight by a doctor, but the only place to go is the ER, so we are waiting until tomorrow to call the on call doctor unless she makes a turn for the worse. We don't want her to catch something while waiting at the ER.
She must get it from her mommy. It was only 83 degrees today and she had not been outside for more than 2 1/2 hours, of which we did our best to keep her in the shade at all times. I don't like the heat myself, it drains the life out of me. My poor baby!
We had fun today, but we're still worried about Lara. We'll keep everyone posted.
Missionary Call
12 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment