Wednesday, April 8, 2009

About Realizing You're A Mom

There are little incidents that happen every now and again that make you realize you're a mom. I had one last week I thought I'd share. I was sitting on the sofa in a rare moment that I could pay attention to myself. I noticed my fingernails were long. Before I was a mom I would have KILLED to have grown fingernails that long on my own. Instead of thinking, "WOW! I'm so happy my fingernails are long," I thought, "My fingernails are too long. I need to cut them." I did not do it right away, and a couple days later I noticed them again. At that point I felt the need to cut my fingernails down right away, so I did. It's funny how your frame of thinking changes after you have children. Where I use to try to have beautifully manicured long fingernails, I want to trim my fingernails short so I do not claw my children to death. I was thinking about it tonight and it made me realize that I AM a mom.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I was just noticing the same thing about my own nails. When I was pregnant I loved having my nails long. Now I just want them short.

Ashley Gilbert said...

Lol...or when you call yourself "Mommy" all the time and your husband "Daddy" all the time. Whereas we used to call each other names like babe or honey or whatever. I love little reminders like this: thanks for the post. Cute stuff!

Shirley said...

ditto.
i also realized the other day that I haven't painted my fingernails in forever, either. I pulled it all out to throw away the bottles that were not useable anymore. Then instead of treating myself to a little color, I painted Anabelle's nails blue. That was actually really fun.