Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Birth Story of Lara

Ok...so here's my story for those who would like to know. Monday night, Dave and I went to the hospital because I thought my water broke. The hospital checked, no water broken; however, my blood pressure was high and unstable. The nurses called my doctor, my doctor wanted to admit me to the hospital and induce me in the morning if I did not go into labor on my own during the night. I told the nurses I was going to go home and come back in the morning if I did not go into labor by then. The nurses called my doctor back, my doctor wanted to speak to me on the phone, the nurses could not get the phone line transferred to my room and my doctor ended up showing up at the hospital after midnight to talk to me. My doctor explained that she was going to wait to induce me because she knew I really did not want to be induced again, but she did not want me to go home because my placenta could detach due to the high blood pressure and there would only be a matter of minutes to get Lara out safely. She told me I would be putting my life and my baby's life at risk if I left. I asked her what she really wanted to do then. She told me she wanted to give me some blood pressure medicine and break my water if I did not go into labor within an hour or two after that, then she would induce with pitocin. I said ok, and I was admitted to the labor and delivery department around 1:30am.
Dave ran home to get my mom and meet the person who was going to stay the night with Jaron. While Dave was gone, the nurses gave me an IV. They had a hard time (it took three nurses), but they finally got the IV in just before Dave and my mom showed up. I had Dave give me a blessing while we waited for the doctor to come back in. While we were waiting, I started having contractions between 5 and 10 minutes apart. My doctor ended up breaking my water at around 2:30am and not giving my blood pressure medicine until after I delivered Lara. Before she broke my water, she checked and saw that I was dialated between 4 and 5cm. By 3:30am, my contractions were less than 5 minutes apart. I decided to sit up to see if that would help with the pain, instead my contractions immediately went to less than a minute apart. I asked for Nubane (pain reliver shot) and when the nurses had not come back in what I felt was enough time, I demanded Nubane. Dave sent my mom to the nurses station, and soon after the nurse came in to check my dialation. I was dialated between 6 and 7cm, so I was given Nubane. I delivered Lara at 5:36am. I don't remember much between the time I received Nubane and when I delivered because the Nubane makes me sleepy. I remember a nurse checking me and then telling me to let her know when I felt like pushing. Then I was told I could push and 2 to 3 contractions later, Lara was born. Dave got to catch Lara as I delivered her and he also cut her umbilical cord. He was really excited and I thought it was wonderful that Lara was caught by her Dad and then given to me.
As soon as she was born, my doctor said Lara was a big baby. When the pediatric nurse went to weigh Lara, she asked for guesses as to how big Lara was. Some guesses were made, I think Dave said 10 pounds, someone said 11 pounds, and the nurse set the scale to weigh in pounds first (usually they weigh in grams first) so that everyone would know immediately. What a shock when the scale said 11 lbs 15 oz! So, since I keep being asked, I had her vaginally and no epidural.
We are so excited to have Lara in our family! We are excited to watch her grow and see her personality develop.

Lara and I right after she was born

This is what a 11lbs 15oz 22in baby looks like

Proof of her weight

Look how long her foot is!

Daddy giving Lara her first bath

8 comments:

Shirley said...

Yay!! Congratulations Can't wait to see her.

Michelle Elena said...

Congratulations Corrina that is so awesome and what a big baby Kaylee was olny 7lbs.

Miss Crystal said...

Congratulations Hale Family! :D

claydancer said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Great Pics. Get some rest you people. Congrats again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story and some photos! She is a big baby but she is a beautiful baby! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

Ashley Gilbert said...

Congrats Corinna!!!

Angelee said...

congratulations~She is beautiful.

Nancy said...

Congrats! She's a beautiful baby.