Sunday, June 13, 2010

Keeping the Sabbath Holy

So, where do you draw the line?

The Wifey and I minutes ago had a quick discussion about cleaning and keeping the Sabbath Day holy. She mentioned how it was strange that one of the only times she really feels strong motivation to clean the house is on Sunday when it is her personal belief that cleaning and chores like that are breaking the Sabbath. I, on the other hand, am a little more lenient and don't have a problem doing those things. Oddly enough, I don't think its OK to do laundry at a laundromat (or the apartment complex's laundry room ) but am fine doing laundry if you have a washer/dryer in your home. Even more oddly, my wife recently started couponing and having me go out Sunday morning to buy multiple copies of the newspaper for the coupons inside. I don't have a problem using the vending machines to do that (and today I even had to go inside a convenience store to get the last copies she needed. I know, sinner!) :-) So I'm wondering where everyone else draws the line. Is it okay to clean on the Sabbath? Do laundry? What are your thoughts and feelings?

3 comments:

adamf said...

When I was first married I made a "no dishes on Sunday!" rule, mostly because I grew up doing dishes every Sunday after dinner, and kind of resented it. It made for a HUGE pile of dishes on Monday, but it was worth it. After a few years my angst (lol) wore off, and I started doing the dishes myself on Sundays once in a while, and enjoy it. What I believe now, is the "Sabbath is a day of rest" often means (to me) that I can rest from labor without any worry, but if I feel like doing some dishes I will. I think that is "keeping the sabbath day" because the "sabbath day" was made for me, my family, and those whom I might serve on Sunday.

Shirley said...

Well said, Wes!
While I agree that doing laundry on Sunday is bad, We used to do it all the time because it was just the most convenient when we go visit family (a good sunday activity) and do laundry while there.
When it comes to dishes and other cleaning, I'll admit that I don't do those on Sunday because I enjoy the excuse of getting to be lazy and procrastinate...not because I'm really gonna spend my time doing something more Sabbath-appropriate.
Shirley

So-Lo said...

Most Dollar Tree stores carry the Sunday paper on Monday as well. That's what I do when my ghetto neighbors steal my copy.