Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sword of Laban

Hello Dear Readers,
I am going to throw a question out to y'all and let you discuss:

What was the ultimate fate of the Sword of Laban? Did Moroni bury it with the Gold Plates in Cumorah? Were they in the stone box when Joseph Smith recovered the plates? We read in the BofM that it was passed down from king to king, along with the Liahona and other relics:
 16 And moreover, he also gave him charge concerning the records which were engraven on the aplates of brass; and also the plates of Nephi; and also, the bsword of Laban, and the cball or director, which led our fathers through the wilderness, which was prepared by the hand of the Lord that thereby they might be led, every one according to the heed and diligence which they gave unto him. (Mosiah chapter 1)
 Let me note that Moroni never records what he buried in the Hill Cumorah with the plates because he never actually relates burying them because he was busy writing on them. In the PoGP, Joseph Smith relates:
52 Having removed the earth, I obtained a lever, which I got fixed under the edge of the stone, and with a little exertion raised it up. I looked in, and there indeed did I behold the aplates, the bUrimand Thummim, and the breastplate, as stated by the messenger. The box in which they lay was formed by laying stones together in some kind of cement. In the bottom of the box were laid two stones crossways of the box, and on these stones lay the plates and the other things with them.
 He never specifically mentions it was there, but at the same time, he never mentions that it wasn't. My wife and I read that this evening (well, from the abridged version in the intro to the BofM) so I asked her if the sword was in the box. When she realized that JS never mentions it, she began to wonder where that idea came from. With a little investigation I discovered D&C 17:
1 BEHOLD, I say unto you, that you must rely upon my word, which if you do with full purpose of heart, you shall have a aview of the bplates, and also of the cbreastplate, the dsword of Laban, theeUrim and Thummim, which were given to the fbrother of Jared upon the mount, when he talked with the Lord gface to face, and the hmiraculous directors which were given to Lehi while in the wilderness, on the borders of the iRed Sea.
 So, we know that the three witnesses were promised to see the Sword of Laban along with the plates, Urim and Thummin, etc. We also know that JS gave the plates back to the angel Moroni so that the Angel could reveal it to them (see The Testimony of Three Witnesses).
So, was the Sword in the box with the plates or was it not? discuss.

No comments: