Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kindle

Have you heard about Amazon's Kindle 2.0? Its a super-thin, super-light-weight ebook reader that can hold over 1500 books and uses 3G networks to download anywhere, anytime without monthly fees, or service plans. Sounds awesome, right? I thought so. Being the technophile I am, I wanted to get my hands on one and check it out. One of my professors loves his and says he's even been able to download his textbooks onto the device. It can even read to you and books cost about $9.99 to download. Sounds amazing! Even "Dear Leader" (BHO) seems to think so because I found this item about Barry wanting to give one to every school child. Never mind the fact that, as the blog points out, one minute he says the country is broke, the next minute he says he wants to spend $299.00 (retail price on Amazon.com) each for EVERY school child.

It forced me to start thinking why he thinks this contraption is so important that he wants every school child to have one but not a word about every child having a calculator (Even a TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator costs half that much on Amazon.com and a graphing calculator of that ability is over kill for any school child. The much more likely TI-30X IIS is less than $15 each at Walmart.) Then I figured it out, and all my worst fears about this administration (or should I say reign?) started coming back to the front of my mind.

Now, I like to think I'm a pretty optimistic guy, a little cynical, but optimistic. These last seven months have really been changing that. I also enjoy entertaining a conspiracy theory every now and then but the one I stumbled across and figured out seems so plausible, and likely, that it's scary. Have I piqued your interest, yet? Think along the lines of 1984, We, and Fahrenheit 451 all rolled into one. Have you figured it out? (btw, I have read all three of these and recommend them to everyone)

According to the articles you can follow from this page, Amazon, or any entity (i.e government) with access, can add, delete, or change content on the Kindle at any time without telling you or asking permission. Furthermore, "Amazon knows what books you have on your Kindle, and, in theory, it can even know the book you are currently reading, and even the last page you’ve read on each of the books you own."

If Dear Leader has his way, not only will everyone in the coming generation be forced into Universal Healthcare (which, might I add, will pay for abortions and outlines mandatory counseling for senior citizens concerning "alternatives to end of life care" i.e. a counselor trying to convince you to refuse treatment because you're old instead of fighting for your life and seeking medical treatment) but the White House (or wherever he decides to move his capital city when he takes supreme command) will have a direct line of access to our school children via the kindle. They will decide what content is downloaded and when. The only hope against it would be for parents to manually delete content themselves. But whose to say that the government won't just put it right back on, or, in the future when dictatorial intentions are more overt, if we will even retain any ability to control the content on the Kindle. "But Obama isn't that sinister" you say? My only response is that he is left-handed.

3 comments:

The Gilberts said...

Very well said, and that IS VERY SCARY to read. But I do agree with every word of it.

Katie Mitchell said...

haha he IS left handed? You crack me up. What is that suppose to mean?

Shirley said...

Proof positive that books deemed inappropriate or unauthorized can be deleted without your knowledge or consent (maybe this was included in one of your links): recently Kindles everywhere had Animal Farm and 1984 (how appropriate) removed (though, reportedly over copyright issues.)
Scary!
Shirley