Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Indifference

Today I received an email from my grandparents (my real-father's parents) that said "Your Dad!!!" in the subject line. My first reaction, before reading the email, was, "Is he dead?" Thoughts of a drug overdose crossed my mind. All the body of the email said was to call them collect. I used our cell phone, so no collect call. My grandma answered and I asked what was going on. She told me my dad has cancer in his spine and it's terminal. She explained that it has spread and that it's too far along for chemo, so the doctor's are setting him up with morphine that he can administer at home. The doctor has given him a year to live, but my grandma thinks it will be less (she is a nurse...she does have some knowledge of these things). Was I filled with grief or sadness?, no. Was I angry or happy?, no. I could tell that my grandma was crying at several points, but still nothing on my end. I'm not sure what I am feeling, so I'm labeling it indifference. This is a man I have not had contact with in almost 20 years. Since my parent's divorced when I was 5, there really has not been much contact, but my mom took us to visit him when I was 9. In a way, I would like to go see him...maybe for closure. But what do I say?... "Sorry you're dying." I do have some good memories of him, but they are plagued with memories that are not good. I didn't really expect this. I thought it would be that once my grand-parents passed, all ties would pretty much be gone. Hmmm...it would be a nice road trip...seeing as they live in Montana. We'll see what we do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. The only advice I have is to pray about if you should go or not. Somethings might be better left unsaid, ya know? But then again, if your Grandma needs you it might be a good idea to go. Tough choices, but I know you'll make the right one! Good luck and we love ya!

Ashley Gilbert said...

I am sorry about your father, Corrina. I know you will know what to do. :) One of my mission companions just called me on my cynical attitude lately about life, and reminded me to have more love and charity. Sometimes when life throws all the battles and heartache all we can do is be bitter. I have found myself doing that a lot lately and I need to change it.

Molly said...

I, too am sorry. My dad died almost 3 years ago from cancer as well. I did not have a relationship with my dad much at all. Him getting cancer and dying actually ended up being a blessing in disguise. When my parents got divorced it really tore our family apart. Having him get sick brought us together and allowed for a lot of healing in our family. Writing about it is actually getting me emotional. I agree with Autumn that you should pray about it, but just in my experience I can tell you it was some much needed visits while my dad was dying of cancer. I was able to finally get to the point of feeling like I forgave him. I think if I had not spent those days with him before he died I would have really regretted it. Those were the special memories I have left of my dad, for which I am now grateful, because as a child there were not many good memories. Good luck in your decision. And even if you decide to visit, it will probably be very difficult at first, but I think you'll be glad you did. You can email me if you want to talk more. mprillwitz@comcast.net