Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Who is John Galt?"

As I was driving to school this last Thursday, I heard Rush Limbaugh make another reference to Atlas Shrugged while talking about Obama's economic plan to "spread the wealth around" and the porculus bill that recently passed. I had heard about that book but didn't know anything about it or what metaphor was being made with the title. So I googled it and found this article on wikipedia. After reading the article, I have decided that it would probably be a good book to check out sometime.
The very basic plot is set in a future where the "men of the mind" (inventors, artists, business leaders, entrepreneurs, scientists, etc.) are hampered with unneccessary and urdensome regulations, undervaluing their contributions while at the same time confiscating their profits and damaging their reputations. This sounds eerily familiar to Obama's plan to punish the hardworking and successful of society and give to those that are lazy and unwilling to work because "when you spread the wealth around, its good for everybody." However, the book shows that when that happened, the men of the mind decide to go on strike, refusing to make any kind of contribution. I feel the same way. If I'm not going to be rewarded for my hard work, why should I work hard. If that illegal alien is going to get my money because he doesn't work, I'm not going to either.
Ayn Rand goes on to show in her book what would happen if that came to pass. TSOAK states "The peaceful cohesiveness of the world begins to disintegrate as each of these men of ability slowly disappears and society loses those individuals whose mental effort allows it to continue functioning. The strikers believe that they are crucial to a society that exploits them, denying them freedom or failing to acknowledge their right to self-interest, and the gradual collapse of civilization is triggered by their strike."
This brings me to the title of this current blog-post: In the book people often ask that same question as a way of saying "don't ask important questions, because we don't have answwers." It turns out John Galt is an inventor who becomes totally disgusted "that non-productive members of society use laws and guilt to leech from the value created by productive members of society, and furthermore even exalt the qualities of the leeches over the workers and inventors." He then vows to to never live his life for the sake of another and starts the strike among the "men of the mind". The title is a reference to the Greek titan who held the world on his shoulders. One character in the novel states that if he could suggest one thing to Atlas, it would be to shrug, thus relieving himself of the burden. The "men of the mind" are Atlas and do, in fact, shrug when they go on strike.
If I had the time, energy, or mental fortitude to become a commentator on the political world, especially during this current epoch of political and economic thinking, I would probably do it under this pseudonym. I would not have the courage to stand up as myself. Courage comes with anonymity, that's partially responsible for the mob mentality, but that's a whole other rumination. I like the idea of referencing a previous figure in your pseudonym. In the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card, Ender's siblings take on the pseudonyms of John Locke and Demosthenes to comment on the political climate while hiding their true identities. On a similar note, I encourage you all to check out the blog that belongs to "The Poached Frog". I think his writing is excellent. I do happen to know him personally, but since I don't know how anonymous he wishes to remain, I will not reveal his identity.
I apologize for the long post. Please share what you think. If you've read Atlas Shrugged, do tell.

3 comments:

Wes said...

So then, what would your pseudonym be?

Shankar said...

As my mother said on January 20th, "Poor guy. He inherits a historic mess to begin his historic presidency."

One month on, he can't win for trying. The right-wing bashes him for doing too much, the left for not doing enough. Keynes himself would have fared no better.

Here's a quote from Paul Krugman (the unabashedly liberal and Keynesian Nobel Prize-winning economist):

"Comrade Greenspan wants us to seize the economy’s commanding heights.

"O.K., not exactly. What Alan Greenspan, the former Federal Reserve chairman — and a staunch defender of free markets — actually said was, “It may be necessary to temporarily nationalize some banks in order to facilitate a swift and orderly restructuring.” I agree."

The left- and right- agree on something? Rush must be choking on his morning coffee.

Shirley said...

well put. everything that is going on right now just makes me sick.
shirley