Tuesday, January 13, 2009

knee pain

Few of you probably know about the mild pain I've had in my knee since 8th grade. For the last week or so it started hurting like a bruise but none was visible. Monday morning I woke up and it was swollen the size of a grapefruit. Last night I went to immediate care and was diagnosed with prepatellar bursitis. That's an inflammation of the fluid sacs that lubricate joints. Today I saw another doctor and he ordered some labs to see if it will need to be drained. I'm supposed to keep it wrapped and elevate/ice it several times a day. I also discovered that I've put 30lbs back on since I stopped riding my bike a year ago. The dr said that studies have shown that losing just 15lbs decreases knee pain symptoms by 50percent. I guess this is motivation to start riding again.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Bursitis is no fun. I have it as well. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Come on Dave, just walk it off

=)

Your favorite brother

The Gilberts said...

Yikes...thats really stinky...we hope you feel better soon!

Shankar said...

Sympathies for the pain and swelling and all that, but how do you "discover" you've put on 30 pounds? Even at 5-6 your body should start telling you something.

D.H. said...

thanks wes, spoken like a football coach :) I knew I was putting some weight back on, I didn't realize it was 30. I failed to mention that when I did weigh 180lbs, my knees didn't bother me nearly as much as when I'm heavy.

Stephanie said...

You are not heavy! get better soon, tell your wife it is her turn to take care and pamper you

Shirley said...

I didn't know you've ever had knee pain. Get better! And don't try and lose too much weight-that can't be good for your body, either :)
Shirley